It was the classic and ever so complicated "I want whatever you have in your hand" problem that had gotten in the way of the girls playing together this morning. It's not even really worth mentioning what the exact object was, I should just add that I changed the whole playroom set over the weekend so there were plenty of new toys to play with, but when they sat down to look around both just got mesmerized with this thing. The purple, plastic, heart shaped "jewel" keychain. Of all things.
So next thing I know I hear loud, unpleasant sounds from that direction.
And honestly, I did not run up to them to figure it out for them. I wanted to see what is going to be the outcome of it, secretly hoping they might have the social skills to figure it out all by themselves now.
They almost do!
What happened is this.
After a while they realized that there is just the one purple, plastic, heart shaped "jewel" keychain and the two of them and whoever had it in their hands is not going to give it up.
And here is where things got interesting: the other girl decided that if this is the case, she is not going to stick around, she got offended and went to the other room to sulk.
The girl with the thing was happlily holding on to it for about a minute. Then she realized, "huh, this is not fun"! So she went to look what is going on.
Since this was not helpful to get her friend to play with her again, she came out and started to do something else, but she missed her friend. So she decided to make it all good and started to work on a little present for her friend.
When the present was done she went to offer it to the offended one who almost went for it, but thought it wasn't enough a gift to make her feel better so she continued to sulk more.
And this is where I couldn't look on any more: they obviously wanted to play together but couldn't find the words to make it happen.
So I sat down with them and asked what happened. They both agreed that they said some angry things to each other that hurt their feelings. We found out that saying "I'm sorry" helps in a case like this and we can also ask "can we still be friends?". Also, a nice gesture is to offer your hand to hold or give a hug.
Now I don't have to tell you, things went right back to normal after this and I was so proud of how we all figured this out!
Painting, snack time, gymnastics, a visit to the craft store, lunch and naps followed all in peace and hapiness.
-
After naps, thanks to Lana's awesomeness, I could go up to school join Benedek, Barnus and Bori and enjoy a nice 15 minutes per big kid of all the wonderful things their teachers had to say about their progress in school. Thank you, Lana!
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment